Tom Marchant wrote:
Does anyone know when 3.4 was first introduced?

How about when the Workplace (3.11) was introduced?

There's a lack of credibility when people talk about 3.4 as an example
of using new features.

As to panels that pop up to tell me about new features, I find them
to be rather annoying.  If they tell only about the changes since the
last release, they are of little value.  How many of us migrate to
every new release?  If they go back to far, there is too much
repetition.  The time for me to effectively learn new features is not
when I begin using the tool for a particular purpose.  I need to
explore the tool when I have a little more free time.  Maybe
it's just me....

The reality is, most people seldom take the time
(or have the time, given the results of many
iterations of downsizing, layoffs, outsourcing
resulting in skeleton staffs carrying rather
full loads).

In the "golden days" (just 5 or 6 years ago,
even), many companies built in training time
as part of each IT employee's performance plan.

Now it's pretty much catch as catch can, and
it better be on your own time and dime.

I'd like to see some kind of balance between
the extremes, but I'm just goin' with the
reality flow these days.

-Steve Comstock