<snip>

> OK, from the beginning.
>
> File Howdy.java --- :
>
> /**
> * Java sample
> * @version 1.1 05/24/2001
> * @author Steve Comstock
> */
> public class Howdy
> {
>    public static void main(String[] args)
>    {
>     System.out.println("Hello, Steve, Ha Ha to Java!");
>    } // end main method
> } // end of class Howdy
>

> The compile (no diagnostics) --- :
>
> javac Howdy.java
>

> The execution --- :
>
> Howdy.class
> Howdy.class 4: FSUM7343 cannot open "¦/Î/Ñ?" for input:
> EDC5129I No such
> file or directory.
> Howdy.class 4: FSUM7343 cannot open "ÈëÈÊÁ/_---" for output:
> EDC5129I No
> such file or directory.
> Howdy.class 4: FSUM7343 cannot open "¦/Î/%/" for input:
> EDC5129I No such
> file or directory.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> -Steve Comstock

I tried your code, cut-n-paste using ISHELL. I then compiled it using javac
from IBM J1.3. Initial test is OK. I did the same using J1.4 with the same
results.

But I can duplicate your output. It appears you are entering the command:

Howdy.class

at the prompt. True? If so that is the problem. Try:

java Howdy

instead. I'm not too sure how the shell is interpreting "Howdy.class", but that
is NOT a executable file, regardless of the fact that the "eXecute" bit is on
in the directory entry!

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its content is protected by
law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and
transmission, or taking any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.