The problem here is one of imprecise communication.
 IEFBR14 does not create datasets.
 IEFBR14 does not allocate datasets.
 IEFBR14 does not initialize datasets.
I suspect we all knew what the gist of the vendor's
recommendation was but, as written in the OP's post,
one had to wonder.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

Vivian said:

ACR/Summary and ACR/Detail version 3.3 has had reports of problems READING files initialized by IEFBR14, which is due to the fact that there is no EOF marker in the file.

We have always had top-notch customer support ...

David  Speake said:

I have a request for assistance in finding all JCL steps that use IEFBR14 to
create (allocate might be a better word choice) data sets ...