>We are a fairly large IMS shop and my company is investigating moving to
>SAP.  Looks like the move may be to UNIX....Anyone running SAP DB2 on zos

>and SAP A/S on Linux on an IFL?  If so what were the key decision points.

>RAS or simply $$$?

It's both. It's one of those rare cases where you pay less and get more.

There are many, many happy references for SAP on mainframe Linux together
with DB2 z/OS. It's an excellent, proven configuration. (I believe the
first Linux platform for SAP was mainframe Linux, in fact.) Baldor
Electric is one example:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/solutions/pdfs/ODB-0129Baldor0324.pdf

Baldor is quite amazing because they manufacture electric generators in
the United States. I think all of their competitors have not been as
efficient and have been forced to move their production overseas. Mark
presents at certain conferences, and it's well worth hearing his
experiences.

Eberspaecher GmbH is another very good one:

ftp://submit.boulder.ibm.com/sales/ssi/rep_sp/9/GK123709/GK123709.PDF

Video here:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/s390/audio/content/eberspacher.html

Eberspaecher runs their production plants 24x7x365, so RAS is critical.
There are lots of other customers at the IBM and SAP Web site.

You may wish to ask IBM and SAP to schedule a joint executive briefing at
the IBM Boeblingen labs. They do a very good job and provide excellent
technical information -- and it's obviously convenient to meet SAP people
before making such an investment. And the beer is not so bad.

- - - - -
Timothy F. Sipples
Consulting Enterprise Software Architect, z9/zSeries
IBM Japan, Ltd.
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]