Brian Westerman writes:
>Have you considered running Z/OS.e to save even more $'s?  If you don't
run
>CICS and/or DB/2 it's a great idea.  The cost is somewhere around $1,500
per
>month per CPU.

DB2, including precompiled COBOL stored procedures (and of course Java
stored procedures), runs great on z/OS.e. Maybe you were thinking of IMS
(which is excluded from z/OS.e)?

FWIW, I'm definitely not a pricing expert, but that price doesn't look
correct for the original poster's System z9 BC. You may have a larger
system. Note that z/OS.e is eligible for subcapacity (WLC/EWLC) licensing.
Also, I believe you can run z/OS.e and z/OS in separate LPARs to take at
least partial advantage of z/OS.e prices if that makes sense.

Yes, z/OS.e is a good example of another difference between certain 64-bit
systems like the System z9 BC and predecessors like the Multiprise 3000.

- - - - -
Timothy F. Sipples
Consulting Enterprise Software Architect, z9/zSeries
IBM Japan, Ltd.
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]