I opened a question to IBM on why editors work and the answer I got was the
editor had to edit the file in place and couldn't make a
copy and edit the copy.

In checking editor here is what I have found
Editors that work with WSA - Notepad, PFE, THE, txtedit, vim, context, Crimson
Editor
Editors that DON'T work with WSA - synedit, cpe, xpad, editpadlite, Ultraedit

I am currently using context, a free editor that has hiliting for many
languages including ASMA90, ISPF Panels, JCL, PLI, ISPF
Skeletons, REXX, and SAS.

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North
Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third
parties by an authorized state official.