A few years ago we conseidered implementing a message-flooding prevention
table. We have never used it, but maybe it could be interesting for you.

"z/OS V1R7.0 Comm Svr: SNA Resource Definition Reference"
0050720144034 >

"5.7 Message-flooding prevention table

The message-flooding prevention facility identifies and suppresses duplicate
messages that are issued in rapid succession. This reduces the possibility
of duplicate messages flooding the operator console and concealing critical
information. VTAM bases its suppression on the time interval since the
message was last issued and on the similarity of variable text in the
original and subsequent message.

For each candidate message, the message-flooding prevention table contains
the criteria that must be met before VTAM suppresses duplicate messages and
whether suppressed messages are sent to the hardcopy log. The suppression
criteria include the amount of time between the original and subsequent
messages, and an indication of which variable text fields are to be
compared. If the message is reissued within the specified time interval and
the specified variable text fields contain the same information, VTAM
suppresses the message"

etc.