On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 10:24:04 -0400, Richard Tsujimoto
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>I use DYNALLOC to allocate a dataset. I know the size of each record and
>the number of records, so I can compute the >number of bytes necessary.

DALAVGR (key is 8010) specifies the allocation unit to be used when the
data set is allocated.

If you do code DALAVGR (with SMS), DALBLKLN specifies the average record
length in bytes of the data. The system computes the block size and the
number of tracks to allocate.

Doug