John McKown wrote:

Yes, YOU will take Linux over Windows, as would I. Are you the decision
>maker? Unfortunately, in many cases, the decision makers have a herd
>mentality. I remember when it was "Nobody got fired for buying IBM.".
>Now it is "Nobody got fired for buying Microsoft."

Well, OK, but there's a mighty big (and still fast growing) Linux herd.
There's plenty of market research data on that from Gartner, IDC, etc.
Your particular company may be different -- maybe your herd got separated
from the bigger herd -- but there's no lack of big herd here.  Maybe three
to five years ago, maybe.

Actually if you do a quick Google search -- and if the results are
consistent :-) -- you'd see that, indeed, there are plenty of people who
got fired for buying Microsoft.  My Google says Cardsystems, National
Westminster Bank, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, and the unnamed CIO in
the story I posted not too long ago, among others.

You don't buy Linux, so it's impossible to get fired for buying Linux.  (Or
maybe you should always get fired for buying Linux because you don't have
to buy Linux. :-))  You buy (or don't buy) Linux support.

- - - - -
Timothy F. Sipples
Consulting Enterprise Software Architect, z9/zSeries
IBM Japan, Ltd.
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]