Doc Farmer wrote:

Mr. Farrell,
It is mainly to work as a cross-check to other change management reports. Not all of them catch ZAP functionality, and the bosses wants to keep change control just that - controlled. I don't think the auditors are as concerned about this kind of thing these days (and I used to be an auditor myself) but I do know that change management reporting is a big deal for Sarbanes-Oxley and HIPAA, among other regulations out there today - and auditors definitely check that. I agree that dataset access control is more important, but that does not mean that ZAP control is un-important, does it?

Well...I have always thought it a less than useful check, and I think people who believe that mere access to a program named AMASPZAP should be restricted are not aware of all the facts.

As to not being able to track all the programs, I thought there were only a handful of actual "ZAP"-capable programs out there in z/OS - IMASPZAP, IGWSPZAP, CSQUZAP, AMASPZAP, SPZAP, SUPERZAP, SUPERMAN, SUPERFLY, MARTYMCFLY, etc. Are there more that we don't know about, but should?

There is no magic in the program name. Your system programmers and anyone else with access to z/OS distribution libraries can construct an infinite (well, bounded by available program names, which for most practical purposes is close enough) number of ZAP programs using the Binder and the CSECTs for AMASPZAP. They will be functionally identical to AMASPZAP.

For example, I could create a JOHNZAP, a DOCFZAP, and a WALTZAP from AMASPZAP's parts, and all them would work just fine. Doing so is not entirely straightforward, but neither is it rocket science.

But even with a JOHNZAP, DOCZAP, or WALTZAP in hand, I could still not do anything I could not already do with another program unless I had authorization to do it anyway. I can, however, do many things more conveniently with AMASPZAP (or its renamed clone) than I can do them with other programs.

Many thanks. Doc
<snip>

--
John Eells