>When I deleted SYS1.GTFTRACE and changed the JCL to allocate a new one
>(DISP=(,CATLG)), it worked fine.  Didn't know that GTF doesn't support
>preallocated dataset for output any more, because ISTR that it used to.
I don't remember that it ever did not.  I have always used preallocated data
sets.
Works fine.  I test-allocated a new one with directory blocks = 0, no record
format,
no record length, no block size, and data set name type = blank.  After I ran
GTF
against this file, the attributes have been changed to DSORG=PS, RECFM=VB,
LRECL=27994, and BLKSIZE=27998.

Many enhancements have been made to GTF since I first began to use it
extensively
ca. 1988; e.g., you can now have more than one instance of GTF at the same time
in one
MVS image.  In 1988 the second one started would ABEND.  A summary I/O trace
has
been added.  If you trace with IOP or SSCHP, you can now specify up to 256
different
device numbers, and in 1988 the limit was 50.  You can also trace I/O now by
device
class, which was not possible in 1988.  Kudos to the GTF developers and their
enlightened management.

Bill Fairchild
All on demand. Always Free.