In a recent note, Kurt Quackenbush said:

> Date:         Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:58:29 -0400
>
> >>No.  3.7.5.5 discusses source; 3.7.5.8 discusses modules.  So it is
> >>appropriate language for the section you cited.
> >>
> > Why, then, did we get the error from Binder:

(Please forgive the rhetorical question; not addressed at you, Kurt.)

> >       IEW2735S DA0F OUTPUT DATA SET FOR DDNAME xxxxxxx HAS INVALID RECORD FO
> > RMAT.  RECFM=U IS REQUIRED.
> >
> > .. when we attempted to install with:
> >
> >     ++ SRC() ... SYSLIB(xxxxxxx) .
>
> I agree with Don that the book is correct since the topic you cited is
> discussing source elements.
>
> Without seeing more of your APPLY input and output, it is difficult to
> decipher the cause of the error reported by the binder.  The binder is

No need ...

> reporting on the SYSLIB (target) for a load module, and for the most
> part the SYSLIB (target) for a load module is derived from the SYSLMOD
> DD statement in JCLIN.  Did you verify the JCLIN is correct by checking
> the JCLIN Summary Report?  Did you LIST the LMOD entry to see what
> ddname is saved as the load module's SYSLIB (target)?

I readily agree there was a user error.  The developer coded (as above)
"++ SRC() ... SYSLIB(xxxxxxx)", where xxxxxxx was the DDNAME of a
data set with RECFM=FB,LRECL=80, in which the developer (incorrectly)
expected a copy of the assembler source to be stored.  I researched
the documentation hoping to find a clear description of what the developer
should have done.  Ideally, under the Syntax description in Commands,
there would be something such as:

    SYSLIB ... identifies a target load module library into which
        APPLY processing links the output from assembly of the
        SRC element.

I found nothing of the kind.  Looking further, I found the misleading
phrase "target source library".  It would be easier to persuade the
developer of the nature of the error if the phrase instead were,
"target load module library".

Thanks,
gil
--