First I want to thank all of you that responded.

The gist of the responses tells me that I may be giving z/OS allocation
logic too much credit. Not what I hoped for of course but this is why we
do testing - right?

The cigar goes to John Kington who suggested allocating my eight data
sets in a single job step. Sure enough, each of the eight data sets was
allocated to different device numbers. I failed to mention the results
of this test when using SMS managed volumes. SMS allocated seven of the
data sets to seven different device numbers with only one device number
being used for two data sets. Since the underlying reason for this
testing will be for a SMS/HSM environment, maybe things won't be too
bad.

Again, thanks to everyone for their time and assistance.

HITACHI
 DATA SYSTEMS
Raymond E. Noal
Senior Technical Engineer