On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:00:00 GMT, Ted MacNEIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>Yes, IP drops packets. But also, yes, TCP keeps track of it all and
requests retransmissions.

>Not according to the traces.

I obviously can't comment on traces I haven't seen.  I can say that
TCP provides guaranteed delivery ... if you (and your software) are
willing to cope with some very ugly timings.

>If TCP/IP is so robust, why has it NEVER happened in 7 years under SNA
(how long we've had the TN3270 client we use), and it always happens under
TCP/IP.

I don't understand that statement.  If you've been using Tn3270 for 7 years
you've been using TCP/IP.  By definition, Tn3270 is 3270 over TCP/IP.

>We have MACROS (scripts) coded for call centres to screen scrape an old
CICS application and answer customers' questions.
>They have never failed under SNA.
>The only change we make (and I know it's the only change because I am co-
ordinating it and controlling it), is we make the TN3270 client talk to
TCP/IP.
>Invoke the MACRO and BOOM!.

First, in my VERY unhumble opinion, anybody using screen scraping gets
what he or she deserves.  (BOOM!)  That was as true under pure SNA as
under TCP/IP.  (If you went for 7 years without screen reformatting you
lived in a very static world, indeed.

>Corrupted (incomplete) data sent to the host, the application session
gets terminated and the user is blown to a blank sign-on screen.

>Doesn't even have the logo and sign-on crap we display when the PC first
connects to the mainframe.

>Every time. Not intermittent. No re-transmission requests. No session. No
data.

That sounds like a problem with the Tn3270 client, or some kind of
incompatability between the Tn3270 client and server, or some such.  If
this is not an intermittant problem it is absurd to blame it on dropped
IP packets.  Dropped packets are not a repeatable issue ... unless you
are violating the protocol or have something misconfigured.  (Sending
packets too large for a level-2 switch will be dropped every time.  And
trying to set up an SNA connection between mismatched ends will fail,
too.  Remember NRZI vs non-NRZI?)

I happen to be an SNA bigot and have no love for TCP/IP, but don't like
seeing bogus arguments against TCP/IP.  Crying "wolf" helps nobody.
Find more specifics about your failure; there is something more specific
than just "TCP/IP" here.

Pat O'Keefe