Skip Robinson wrote:
When I first saw this question, I resisted the urge to jump in until I had a better notion of the issues. Here goes.

A while back I looked at a production control challenge here that seemed to have one obvious solution: mount an AIX file on USS and edit it with ISPF. I asked IBM if I could do that. The answer, alas, was NO because the mainframe SAMBA is only a *server*. z/OS has no client function. Requirements invited, but nothing in the hopper.

Hence you can mount a USS file on Windows and rename or delete it. Or edit it with Notepad. (Whoopee.) Or you can mount a USS file on AIX and edit it with VI, the greatest editor to have survived the computer Stone Age with no fundamental enhancements.

What you cannot do is manage other-platform files from USS. If that's what the original question was about.

Unless I got it totally wrong.

There may be no SAMBA client _yet_ on z/OS, but there is an NFS client.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc