On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 01:36:06 +0900, Timothy Sipples
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Mark Zelden writes:
>>Without getting into too much detail.. there were two projects (POCs)
>>going on. One was related to moving TSM off of z/OS to run on zLinux under
>>z/VM and the other was moving TAMe from AIX (I think.. it could have
>>been Wintel).
>
>Rule of thumb (oversimplification? :-)): moving something from z/OS onto
>mainframe Linux is not usually a good idea.  Tivoli Storage Manager would
>probably be a particularly bad candidate, so your outcome would have been
>predicted.  Do you happen to know what the thinking was on that?  It's a
>very odd choice.  Storage management is extremely highly evolved and very
>efficient on z/OS.

(sorry for delay in responing... just got back from 2 weeks of vacation)

The idea mostly came from IBM - probably when selling us the engines. :-)

The #1 reason? Probably because it it was supposed to save $$$.

Isn't TSM supposed to "work better" or at least be easier to manage
on open systems?  Maybe that is just a perception I've heard around
here because the TSM admin(s) work mostly on *nix.

Also, 90% of other TSM workloads are on AIX.  One particular workload
(TSM to backup AIX SAP servers) was on AIX but moved to the mainframe
when we consolidated our mainframes out to LA.  The SAP AIX servers
moved along with the mainframe (because of how "tightly coupled"
they were with the MF) but the AIX TSM servers remained in the
Chicago area since they were still being used with all the other AIX
servers that were staying.  TSM was already in use on the MF for LPARs
that already existed in the LA data center, so we just implemented it
on an additional LPAR to backup SAP AIX.

Oh, did I mention it was supposed to save $$$?

On another note... I tried to go back and look for any responses
to my question about linux success stories or war stories.  Only
found the one from Alan at Supervalue (but he didn't mention anything
about how "on-time" the project was or how smoothly it ran).
I know there are many others success stories and others similar
to my experience. I'm surprised there were not more responses
from IBM-MAINers.

I did note that the 2 threads went far off topic from the subject
line.... but what else is new?

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group