Bad choice:  "Discoveries" are not "inventions".  One cannot patent
facts.

> Why should a book or
> movie be excluded from patent protection?

Books and movies, as intellectual property, are protected (protectable)
by copyright. As physical inventions, books probably predated the
concept of patents, but I'd wager that Thos. Edison, among others, held
at least one patent for the means of making and/or showing movies.

    -jc-