Hi,

I put my hands up to being one of those people who only speak two languages,
English and Rubbish, although I suspect they may be inexplicably linked.
(Programming languages can be discounted as I might only be able to libel
somebody in those rather than slander them.)

In the context of an earlier post "It's the pervasive internal inconsistency
within the language itself. Steel vs. steal vs. stele. Say what?"

My interpretation would be that "to steal" is the act of theft, and that
"steel" might be medium of the blunt instrument used to perpetrate the crime.
If the crime were really ancient then it might have been reported for posterity
on a "stele" if I refer to a stone slab rather than the stem of a plant.

The words whilst sounding the same have very different meanings and whilst that
might lead to aural confusion, it should convey precise meaning in written form.

On a different tack abbreviations and there use has cropped up recently. I
usually have no trouble interpreting technical abbreviations, IBM has a
Glossary to assist with this. It is the vernacular abbreviations which throw
me, my assumption is that IIRC is "If I Remember Correctly" but IMHO has me
perplexed.

I could only afford two bits worth I'm afraid due to inflation and general lack
of affluence, but I do love language it can provide great entertainment.

Kind regards - Terry

P.S My apologies for exploring one of the bunny trails alluded to in another
post.

Terry Sambrooks
Director
KMS-IT Limited
228 Abbeydale Road South
Dore
Sheffield
S17 3LA
UK

Tel: +44 (0)114 262 0933
WEB:
www.legac-e.co.uk

Reg: England & Wales 3767263 at the above address

All outgoing E-mails are scanned but it remains the recipients responsibility
to ensure that their system is protected from viruses, trojans, worms, and
spy-ware.