Craddock, Chris wrote:

> Rick Fochtman asked:
> >I'm trying to understand the differences between "LOAD MODULES" and
> >"PROGRAM OBJECTS" as they are stored in a PDS or PDSE.
>
> Unfortunately the program object internal format is entirely
> OCO. I don't know of anyone (outside IBM) who has found the
> secret decoder ring for PDSE program objects although I am
> sure many have tried. I guess you've already run IEHIBALL on
> it and found it startlingly different than a load module.

I don't think it's *that* bad. Someone did post a program here a year or so
ago that decoded parts of the IEWPLMH thing. When I looked at it briefly
some time ago, it appeared to have an OCO header, followed by mostly
documented other IEW structures.

Not, obviously, that it's a good thing to be using stuff that can change
without notice. What IBM has done, to their credit, is improve the Binder
API with every release. It's pretty much at a usable state now in z/OS 1.4
and higher, *and* - it's downward compatible!

Tony H.