I totally agree. That's just how UNIX (all variants) work.

> forked() / spawned() UNIX processe run in BPXAS address spaces
> and these are STCs started by WLM. This similar to the JES
> initiators which are started by JES and are STCs. A difference
> is that the JES initiator address spaces will "change" to type
> "JOB" as long as the initiator is "serving" a batch job; WLM's
> UNIX process address spaces will continue to be seen as type
> "STC" even when it is "serving" a process.
>
> Peter Hunkeler
> CREDIT SUISSE

>From an off-list reply, the actual question was how a UNIX user could
run his UNIX command as a batch job. I hope my previous reply was
sufficient to help this person.

As an aside, it is quite normal in the UNIX world to start "long
running" work similar to the following:

nohup unix-command ..params.. <input.data >standard.output.messages
2>error.messages &

I've not tried this on z/OS to see if it works. And on most current UNIX
systems, the user is sitting on a X server and running multiple xterms,
so they (like a Windows person) just uses another xterm and leaves the
"long running" command going. I also tend to do this, except that I may
use "screen" to put the command into a "virtual terminal" so that I can
disconnect and reconnect it (like you can a VTAM session manager).

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.