Jon,

Thanks for that.  I had considered an approach like this (Rexx is
usually my first response to such tasks), but that kind of iterative
processing in Rexx, plus all the allocation/deallocation, is likely
to be just too slow for the kinds of searches we need to do.  I don't
mind if the job runs overnight, but given the size of what we're
facing even that might not be long enough.

I only got two answers to this question, including yours.  Oh, well,
seems as if I'm gonna have to write another utility -- that's what I
was trying to avoid, but it looks inevitable.  Anyway, thanks for the
creative reply.

David