>Even component prefix is not always uniques. See IKJnnnnn messages.
Some
>of them belongs to RACF.

How do you know they belong to RACF? I admit IKJ messages sometimes
appear where you wouldn't expect TSO routines to be involved. I guess
that has "historically grown". Anyway, no two different modules should
issue the same numbered IKJ (or whatever) message.

>It need not to be unique. It is *strongly suggested*. It is
>*convenient*. But the system and systems programmers can surviver
>without full uniquity.

Component prefixes need to be unique, otherwise a module of one
component can inadvertantly be replaced by another module from
another component, both residing in the same load library.

>Mainframe has a lot of such "standards". For example: Snnnnn libraries
>are target libraries (DDDEFs), while Annnn libraries are distribution
>libraries. *Usually*. With a number of exceptions, like LINKLIB or
>LPALIB (no S). Many of them are exceptions because they existed before
>those rules arised.

These again aren't component prefixes. It's a naming convention, and I
agree, there very often are exceptions to conventions.

Peter Hunkeler
CREDIT SUISSE