From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 10:05 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Relabelling a 3592 in an ATL

Sorry, I know this is not directly mainframe related. But we have a
problem that our tape librarian has dumped in our laps. We have an ATL
with 3952 drives. We also have an VTS connected to this same ATL. Our
backstore tapes are 3952s. This ATL is also used for our Distributed
(Windows) systems. The tape librarian wants to relabel some
"distributed" tapes to be VTS "backstore" tapes.

First question. Are VTS backstore tapes internally labelled? If so, what
type of label?

Second question. What would be the easiest way to "insert" these tapes
into the z/OS managed portion of the library so that I could
appropriately label them?

Has anybody done this? IBM's initial suggestion is to get the tapes
together and send them back to our original supplier and ask them to do
the relabelling for us. I like this solution. However, it costs money.