This is b***** maddening. The post is being rejected because it is
supposedly already there. This posting is the same but with the paragraphs
in reverse order. Let's see if that works!!! In case none of the others
shows up, this is just to mention that this is now the fourth attempt!!!

Mark,

After all that it's becoming clear that something in the original request
isn't perhaps as clear as it might have been. :-(

What I can't quite understand here is why you need advice about the VTAM
definitions when you are not - as you have described it - changing the
logical configuration as far as VTAM is concerned. Thus the definitions
should be exactly the same. The only part which may well change is the
"smoke and mirrors" required by the PC platform. The CDRM definitions are
even more removed from the link definitions so there is even less reason to
change these than the link definitions - which should, as I said, not need
changing at all.

If you want to use "flex"-defined CTCs, the answer is surely in the "flex"
documentation and probably the answer will also be in a "flex"-oriented
list/group if only because all preconceptions are destroyed when attention
is diverted to these "wonderful" and "tricky" platforms.

Note that I do not encourage the use of private conversations started in the
list/group so please keep your replies here.

Normally a CTC runs over a channel. I know that a CTC can be emulated using
VM and I have often used that "trick". I can imagine that a CTC could be
emulated by the PC platform emulating the hardware - much as VM does I
suppose. I am amazed that the token ring card is involved but maybe that's
how the "trick" works in the PC platform. I have just been assisting
privately with a Hercules configuration where I have discovered that one
half of a z/OS CS IP CTC link can talk to the Windows Loopback Adapter
emulating the other half.

Does the system run VM on top of which sit MVS and VSE? - or does the system
mimic 3 LPARs so that each operating system runs it a separate partition?

I'm afraid I know very little of these PC platforms emulating the S/360 and
its descendents so if I seem ignorant of and stand amazed at the hoops
through which you are jumping, please accept my apologies.

Chris Mason