I never use it. My reason is that when I update a file with DISP=MOD,
there is no way to __easily__ restart an abended step. In this case, to
restart, the program would need to have restart capability built into it
so that it would not process any already processed data. This could be
quite complicated. To me, it is much easier to just have a lot of GDGs
and write to the next generation. Upon restart, just scratch the "bad"
generation (CA-11) and go. If DISP=MOD is absolutely necessary, then I
guess an IEBGENER at the end to copy the GDG to the real dataset might
be OK. But what if the output dataset gets an SB37 due to a space
problem? How do I "unwind" the added records?

Of course, each cat his own rat.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.