Mark Zelden writes:
>I haven't seen anyone mention that the OP would need a sysplex
>timer (which he doesn't need now).  That cost alone my be good
>enough reason to upgrade the box to newer technology.

I was thinking that, too (and mentioned that in e-mail to the original
poster). It does seem like a lot to ask to get a Sysplex Timer (or even
two) at this point in time, with STP an option on the newer systems.

It's hard to say exactly what the "best" option would be without knowing
all the circumstances, but my hunch is that getting a larger system
(probably a System z9 BC unless substantial growth is expected) and then
relegating the z800 to cold or warm standby, ideally in another building,
would be a nice mix of low cost combined with forward progress in
improving business availability.

It really depends on the service levels the original poster is trying to
achieve, though. Sometimes the business always needed Parallel Sysplex and
it's past time. Sometimes the growth means the business has reached a
point where it's more important than before. "It depends."

- - - - -
Timothy F. Sipples
Consulting Enterprise Software Architect, z9/zSeries
Tokyo (Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific)
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]