I'll take a try at a few of these.

In the zSeries world, the "bible" for how the CPU operates is called
"The Principles of Operations". You can read this on the web at:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DZ9ZR003/CCON
TENTS

Now, this does not describe 100% of all of the facilities embedded in
the zSeries. It mainly describe the __majority__ of the instructions
implemented on the zSeries and how some things such as timers and memory
access work.

There are "secret" facilities within the zSeries which are not
documented outside of IBM.

> 2. ESCON and FICON are data busses used for external storage
> devices, but what does the mainframe use for internal data
> bus, InfiniBand, HyperTransport?

The zSeries uses its own internal data bus technology. I think they call
it the STI (Self Timed Interface?). But these internals are not as
widely documented as the ones that you mentioned. Basically, I think
that IBM doesn't care if you know how it works internally because: (1)
you can't make use of the knowledge anyway and (2) if it were
documented, somebody might try to make that knowledge part of their
software, leading to problems with that software in the future.

You might want to go to the web site:

http://researchweb.watson.ibm.com/journal/rd/

there are many articles here on IBM technologies, including the zSeries,
iSeries, and pSeries. Along with a boat load of more "theoritical"
papers. But you can stumble on facinating reading at times.

You might especially like:

http://researchweb.watson.ibm.com/journal/rd48-34.html (IBM eServer
zSeries)

http://researchweb.watson.ibm.com/journal/rd46-45.html (IBM eServer
z900)

http://researchweb.watson.ibm.com/journal/rd43-56.html (old S/390 Server
G3 & G4)

http://researchweb.watson.ibm.com/journal/rd39-12.html (CMOS
techonology)

> 3. Does the mainframe use common interconnects on the
> hardware level? I'm thinking of PCIe, PCI-X, MCA, or PCI.

Generally, no. However, the current zSeries do have some PCI slots in
which some specialized cards can be inserted. I think one of the main
uses is for the cryptographic coprocessors. It is certainly not a
general interface where a end-user could insert their own PCI card.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.