""Tom Rusnak"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Hi folks,
>
> I was running GTF to trace SVC 26(CATALOG) to try and figure out why my
> master catalog hit ratio is between 45-55% both with ISC or VLF, but that

> may be another thread for another day.
>
> I noticed quite a few temporary data sets requests in the trace.   The
> majority if not all were coming out of a third party package (CA
Endevor).
> We do manage our temporary data sets thorugh SMS, however I can't seem to

> create the same situation either with a &&amp;TEMP data set in JCL, or
running
> IKJEFT01 in batch and using the TSO ALLOC command.  When I GTF my job I
> don't see any of the temporary data sets in the trace.
>
> Can anyone tell me under what circumstances SVC 26 will be used for
> temporary data sets?  Here are a couple of GTF entries for anyone game
> enough to try.   The first word of the PLIST varies a bit although
> 04008101 seems to be quite common and I believe it along with the 08 at
> offset 16 is simply a "Define".

We had an issue a couple of years ago where OEMs were using the services (I
believe IGWASMS) to determine if a data set is SMS-managed.  Obviously
temporary data sets have no aliases, so the master catalog is searched.

I would get back to your vendor and ask them to change their code so when a
temporary data set name, they NOT call IGWASMS.

Thanks,
Mark Thomen
Catalog/IDCAMS/VSAM Development