Jeffrey

You might like to inspect X'A3' - the low order bit  will on if the machine
is in z/Architecture mode.

If you are on any z/Series hardware then you might be able to use STore
Facility List instruction, STFL.
'Might' because this is a privileged instruction and it updates the
fullword at real address 200 (X'C8')

(z/OS does issue this instruction and leaves the data in storage at that
address but  I do not know if any other operating systems do this).

If you are the latest hardware(z9), then there is STore Facility List
Extended, STFLE,  which can store up to 16k bits and is not privileged.

Both of these instructions store 'facility' bits - they are described at
the end of Chapter 4 in the latest POP (SA22-7832-04).

Hope this helps

John