john gilmore wrote:
I am as aware as EJ is of the historical use that has been made of SNs to maintain source programs, and I mentioned this role for them explicitly in the post he comments upon. We differ about the desirability of continuing to use them. So be it.

Don't misunderstand me! We do *not* differ about the desirability of continuing to use sequence numbers. Personally, I don't like them. I prefer "unnumbered" source for programs not distributed to customers.

My objection was to your assertion that the use of sequence numbers is now 'obsolete'. That would be a valid statement only if a viable alternative to their use for source-maintained programs existed. Unfortunately, one does not.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc