On Monday 31 July 2006 17:42, Thompson, Steve  , SCI TW wrote:

> OK, to recap again, the sequence numbers are used for:
> 1. IEBUDTE, which is used by SMP/E
> 2. editor
> 3. punched card sorter.
>
> Anything else ?

I use ISPF NUM STD extensively on PDS members.

Besides setting sequence numbers in pos 73-78 of source members, NUM STD
sets pos 79-80 to the member's LEVEL number in order to track changes.

Strictly speaking, I don't really use sequence numbers, but I use a
by-product of the method ISPF manages sequence fields. I rely on level
numbers in pos 79-80 so much that I have an EDIT macro called LVL which
recycles "gas levels", i.e. it compresses level numbers by reusing
those which have no corresponding record in the member and adjusting
pos 79-80 of the records, as needed.

--

 Gilbert Saint-Flour
 GSF Software