I have never had a problem compressing a proclib on the fly. It is probably not a recommended thing to do, and if the proclib is used by multiple systems, it may not be a good idea. I always used a batch job to compress SYS1.PROCLIB. The first step copied the PROCLIB to a new dataset using my TSOID as a high level qualifier. The 2nd step did a compress with DISP=SHR coded on the PROCLIB DD statement. As long as the dataset is not moved, and is in the same extents it was before, you should have no problems..

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. z/OS Systems Programmer
Milwaukee Wisconsin
414-475-7434

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Ten Eyck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have read various posting about the problems of compressing a PDS
proclib. I have a proclib call TEST.PROCLIB which out of space.

Data Set Name  . . . : TEST.PROCLIB

General Data                          Current Allocation
Volume serial . . . : D90300          Allocated tracks  . : 1,478
Device type . . . . : 3390            Allocated extents . : 16
Organization  . . . : PO              Maximum dir. blocks : 250
Record format . . . : FB
Record length . . . : 80
Block size  . . . . : 8880           Current Utilization
1st extent tracks . : 353            Used tracks . . . . : 1,478
Secondary tracks  . : 75             Used extents  . . . : 16
                                      Used dir. blocks  . : 192
Creation date . . . : 1996/12/17      Number of members . : 1,215
Referenced date . . : 2006/08/02
Expiration date . . : ***None***

TEST.PROCLIB is known to JES2 through the following PROC (JES2 on z/OS 1.4).

//JES2     PROC MEMBER=JES2PARM,ALTMEM=JES2PARM,
//          PLIB2='SYS2.PROCLIB',PLIB3='TEST.PROCLIB'
//IEFPROC  EXEC PGM=HASJES20,DPRTY=(15,15),TIME=1440,PERFORM=9
//ALTPARM  DD DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.PARMLIB(&ALTMEM)
//HASPPARM DD DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.PARMLIB(&MEMBER)
//PROC00   DD DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.PROCLIB
//         DD DSN=&PLIB2,DISP=SHR
//         DD DSN=&PLIB3,DISP=SHR
//         DD DISP=SHR,DSN=CPAC.PROCLIB
//         DD DISP=SHR,DSN=IPO1.PROCLIB
//         DD DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.IBM.PROCLIB
//         DD DISP=SHR,DSN=IOE.SIOEPROC
//HASPLIST DD DDNAME=IEFRDER

How do I resolve this problem if it is not "safe" to compress?