---------------------------<snip>-----------------------------------
> If there's anybody out there old enough, they'll remember Assembler-G,
> from University of Waterloo, with it's temporary update facility.
> You supplied updates in IEBUPDTE format in a separate input file.
> The Assembler would apply those updates to create a temporary file,
> which was then assembled. IIRC, it was invoked by executing the UPASM
> program, instead of ASMGASM. I used it extensively and it saved my
> bacon more than once, when IEBUPDTE would have left me with a useless
> source deck.

How is this superior to a library JCL proc that performs the
updates to a temporary data set, then assembles from that?

ISTR an assembler for 700/7000 series that routinely accepted
a delta deck along with its primary input deck.
--------------------------<unsnip>-----------------------------------
Not necessarily superior, but an alternative. This was in my "salad days", when
JCL was
still quite new to me, compared to Assembler-language programming. I liked it
because
it was a single job step for both update and assemble.

Rick

---
[This E-mail has been scanned for viruses by the YourNet Connection Virus
system]
[For more information, please go to http://www.ync.net/YourMAIL]