"Perryman, Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 08/11/2006 04:29:32 AM:

> An ex-colleague (who doesn't have access to this list) emailed me to
> say that he wants to merge three datasets into one larger one. All
> are PS files with character data in, but two are FB (don't know
> LRECL) and one is VB (again, I don't know the LRECL but it's the
> longest of the three).
>
> My instant thought was "Yep, easy. Used to do this all the time!"..
> But I can't find how I used to do it! I've tried ICEGENER and
> DFSORT/SORT and DFSORT/MERGE so far.. I'm sure I'm missing the wood
> for the trees..
>
> Anyone know a quick and easy way?

Not sure if you actually mean merge (merge previously sorted files by a
key) or copy (e.g. MOD the files for output).

At any rate, if you want the output to be FB, first you'll need to convert
the VB file to an FB file with the same LRECL as the other FB files.  You
can use DFSORT's VTOF and OUTREC parameters, as explained in the "VB to FB
conversion" Smart DFSORT Trick at:

http://www.ibm.com/servers/storage/support/software/sort/mvs/tricks/index.html

Then you can use COPY to MOD the concatenated FB data sets (SORTIN), or
MERGE to merge the FB data sets (SORTINxxs).

If you want the output to be VB, first you'll need to convert the FB files
to VB first.  You can use DFSORT's FTOV parameter as explained in the "FB
to VB conversion" Smart DFSORT Trick at the same URL above.

Then you can use COPY to MOD the concatenated VB data sets (SORTIN), or
MERGE to merge the VB data sets (SORTINxxs).

If you need more help with this, give me more details (RECFM and LRECL of
each input file, what you want for the RECFM and LRECL of the output file,
and whether you want do a MERGE or a COPY).

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Team (IBM)
 Specialties: PARSE, JFY, SQZ, ICETOOL, IFTHEN, OVERLAY, Symbols, Migration

 => DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/