-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Chase, John
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 12:10 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Damping Fields

<snip>

Actually, commercial airliners use the same VHF nav/comm band as general
aviation for air traffic control and navigation purposes.  The military
uses the UHF nav/comm band.

<snip>

I've often wondered about that. I have sometimes heard Cleveland (CLE)
approach, and Akron-Canton approach (CAK) talking to some airliner
(United, American, etc.) but never heard them talking back (same kind of
thing with Pittsburgh, Columbus, Indy, etc.). Now I know that some
controllers are ganged to handle two or more radios (I've even been at
CAK and Springfield MO after 10PM and the approach, tower and ground
were all the same person - you talk about a bored controller). But I
never heard the Big Iron pilots talking and I was supposed to be
following them (visual approach) -- You should try this when vis is < 2
mi and they are doing 160+Knots and you are firewalled doing 120Knots
and you're #2 for the ILS  ;-)

Now, at Youngtown OH and Mansfield OH (both are C130 bases or were until
very recently), I heard those guys all the time on the "regular" low
freqs for approach, tower and ground.

However, I can tell you that 151MHz does really UGLY things to the
HP3000s! Hagerstown MD's HP3000 for the city was 3-4 stories above the
police garage exit. The patrol car drivers had a regular policy to
double tap the xmit button on their radios as they came out of the
garage....

Well, HP was out for the umpteenth time trying to figure out why this
HP3000 had locked up again. So they had effectively done a POR to get it
running. So their FE walked over to the window (which was covered with
metal mesh and the glass had metal mesh in it) because he was tired of
staring at a scope trying to figure out what was wrong with this happy
little computer system.

About that time a police car drove out of the garage and the HP3000
locked up...

<Big Bright LIGHT goes on here>

The rules were if you keyed your mike before you got to the street, your
paycheck would be the one that was done entirely by hand...

And the lock-ups ceased.

Later,
Steve Thompson