That *might* apply only to the "locked" phones you get "free" from the
provider.  I bought an "unlocked" phone, picked a provider, bought their
SIM, signed the contract, put the SIM into my "unlocked" phone, called
the store, had the store clerk call me on the newly-assigned number,
paid the "activation fee", and walked out.  This provider's SIM did not
require anything beyond inserting it into the phone.

Also bought a pre-paid SIM for Australia, and that one has an
"activation sequence" I'll have to perform when I get there.

    -jc-