From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Johnny Luo
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:14 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: 'ON ERROR' equivalent in COBOL

Hi,

Recently we're helping a customer to rewrite their PL/I programs using
Enterprise Z/OS
COBOL.  In PL/I programs, such statements were used to handle
unidentified
errors:

ON ERROR BEGIN;
ON ERROR SYSTEM;
CALL PLIRETC(12);
PUT SKIP LIST(' *****UNEXPECTED ERROR******');
STOP;
END;

As far as I know(Maybe I'm wrong), there is no equivalent in cobol for
such
processing.
So i try to use LE service 'ceehdlr' to register a user-written cobol
sub-program for error
handling.  Whenever an error occurs, control will be transferred to that
sub-progam but the
problem is : I want to terminate the execution of mainprogram in that
sub-program which
is exactly what these pl/i programs do.

But I find out I can only 'resume', or 'percolate', or 'promote' . So,
does
anyone know how
to do this in cobol?

--