"Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Well, I'd prefer a cleaner syntax then Unix regexen, more like ICON,
>SNOBOL and SuperWylburR, and I'd also like support[1] for parsing
>keyword parameters.

As you noted, you can do this with an add-on.  Which illustrates a point
that I don't think has been raised yet: the Perl folks think it's such a
wonderful language, yet the language *itself* seems to me to be poorly
designed and overly complex; what makes Perl so powerful is all the add-on
packages.  Rexx supports these, too, but there aren't nearly as many
available, because folks mostly haven't seen the need/had the
opportunity/whatever.

The big difference between Perl and Rexx is that novices can write Rexx; if
they try Perl, most of them give up in disgust, in my experience.  When I
worked at UofWaterloo, even full professors (*GASP*) could deal with Rexx!
Imagine that...

...phsiii