On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:21:16 +0000, Ted MacNEIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>I can just say in _my_ experience, one way doesn't work well in a large shop.
>
>Define "LARGE".
>
>I have been in the 3500-4000 MIPS/10-14 TB range for the last few years.

I'm happy defining "n" number of SMF dsn's and dumping SMF once a day
worked for you -  congratulations.

The are many variables and configurations to consider.  MIPS isn't the
only factor. Other factors may include the number of CICS regions (and
what level of detail you are writing to SMF), DB2 subsystems, WebSphere
regions and batch jobs running in your environment. I already mentioned
that running at or near 100% CPU utilization was also a factor that has
affected the way I dump SMF data.

It's really pointless to continue this... so this is my last post
on this point.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group