Peter Relson wrote:
I can only say "I am astonished" that someone would code based on the
presence of a field name. We have every right to define fields in any level
of macros that are convenient.

And, I'm astonished at your astonishment!

The technique of testing for the presence of control block fields at assembly time e.g., AIF (NOT D'CVTHxxxx) to skip around release-dependent code for source-maintained products has been a standard practice for _decades_ -- ever since the introduction of Assembler H (IEV90)! Simply assemble the product against the proper maclibs for the target system and all is well.

If this pervasive and well-established technique becomes unreliable, I predict *lots* of software will break!

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc