In
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
on 08/25/2006
   at 04:58 PM, "Hunkeler Peter (KIUB 34)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>Any program that returns to the operating system by branching  to the
>address it was told when it initially got control is  assumed to have
>completed successfully.

FSVO successfully. In general the caller will look at the return code
in R15. If it's the jobstep task, then the initiator may skip
subsequent steps depending on the value in R15 and the COND keywords
in EXEC statements.

>If the program fails either becaue some OS service it called
>decided to abnormally end (abend) the program of because the
>programmer decided that in a specific case it should ABEND  (which
>is an MVS service), then and only then does MVS consider the program
>has abnormally ended.

Where programmer includes the authors of IBM and 3rd party libraries
used by the program.

>If you see
>     "COMPLETION CODE - SYSTEM=sss USER=uuuu REASON=rrrrrrrr" then
>the program has or has been abnormally ended.
>If sss in nonzero, it was abended by a service routine and sss is
>the hexadecimal abend code. If uuuu is nonzero, the abended was
>coded by the programmer asked for an abend with  the decimal abend
>code uuuu (0-4095).

The user may consider LE and other IBM libraries to be service
routines even though they issue user ABEND's.