that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig Mullins) writes:
> Perhaps this site is "helpful" in narrowing down what an OS is?
>
> http://www.answers.com/topic/operating-system

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006p.html#10 What part of z/OS is the OS?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006p.html#11 What part of z/OS is the OS?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006p.html#13 What part of z/OS is the OS?

... from recent posting
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006p.html#15 "25th Anniversary of the Personal
Computer"

involving some copies of some old email from long ago and far away ...
one of the items was 2 chip operating system processor:

To: wheeler
Date: 29 September 1982, 10:46:37 EST

Hm, interesting article you sent....

I obtained advance information about the Intel iAPX286 .... it looks
very interesting.... also have some data on the iAPX 86/30 and 88/30
Operating system processors....  this looks extremely interesting, and
one can assume that the 286 cannot be far behind in getting an
operating system chip to go with it....

iAPX86/30 is a 2 chip processor, with 35 operating system processor
primitives as instructions... things like job and task management,
interrupt management, free memory management, intertask communication,
intertask synchronization, and environmental control... It also
supports 5 operating system data types: jobs, tasks, segments,
mailboxes, and regions.  Someday we'll be able to look back at the big
RISC vs. CISC and wonder what all the fuss was about....

... snip ...