On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 14:03 -0500, Joel Ivey wrote:
> We have a request to report on how many "mips" are consumed by a certain
> application.   We should be able to count total cpu seconds for a particular
> application, but is it even possible to convert that into "mips"?    Or how
> about MSUs?  How would we convert total cpu seconds into MSUs?   How do we
> go about reporting the percentage of our current cpu capacity that is being
> used by a certain application?

O.K., so we all know MIPS is bad - doesn't stop requests like this one
being made.

I think your best option might be to disavow MIPS and MSUs altogether
for an application. Report it like RMF does - as a percentage of an
engine.
If you don't want to do the maths yourself, just assign a report class
to that application (only). The numbers will be rubbery depending on
your intervals, but as Ted pointed out, the whole thing is averages of
averages anyway.
I'd be pretty sure that Barry would have something in MXG for you as
well, if you have that.

Shane ...