In a message dated 9/5/2006 11:25:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>>Assuming one does a GTF I/O trace, what does one then do with  the  trace?
>>Are there tools available to drill down to the  Data Set level  given only
a GTF trace?

>In the bad old days,  GPAR was available. I don't know of any other tools. I
use  IPCS.
>John

I use IPCS myself quite often to study GTF I/O trace data, and I would  not
consider that to be a practical way to determine what data sets are being
accessed.  There is much too much data to pore over manually,  and more manual
work is necessary in order to convert the CCHH values  found into data set
names.
 You have to scan through VTOC extent  listings.  Very time-consuming and
error-prone.  I was hoping you  would mention the name of some current tool.

I use GTF to analyze one channel program at a time to find out why it
failed, how long it took to complete, if it transferred all the data I thought
it
would, etc.  I would never dream of using GTF to do data set level  analysis
unless I first developed, or had access to, a tool to  reduce the data down to
some kind of summary form and also to scan VTOCs to  convert CCHHs into data
set names.  Both of these tasks are  non-trivial.

Bill  Fairchild