Of course, but you can't use CPACF in that case.

> Second thought: CKDS is (should be) well protected. No user, especially
> production support should have read access to it. Keys are read by ICSF
> STC user. Even that is better than nothing. Remember: we're talking here
> about *clear key functions* - such cryptography means your staff is able
> to read the key. It is not "secure too much".
That's a given. Any key repository must be protected by a security
product, like IBM RACF. ICSF CKDS is no different in that respect.

> >>This is the advantage - you don't have
> >>to worry about it. You can control and audit key usage using RACF. The
> >>person who use key may be unable to read the key from storage (different
> >>set of authorities).
> >
> > The RACF support in ICSF restricts access to the services, but not the
> > resource being ciphered. That is a HUGE difference.
>
> RACF restrict acces to both services and keys as well.
ICSF issues security calls for services and keys. That's not my point.
ICSF does nothing to protect the ciphered resource. *Both* the ciphered
resource and the key that ciphers it must be protected through a single
point of access.

> [...]
> >>
> >>Please enlight us:
> >>1. What is key management system?
> >
> > A key management system controls access to keys, rather than access to
> > ciphering services.
> As I mentioned ICSF calls RACF for the keys usage as well.
But ICSF does not call the security product to determine whether the
key may applied to the resource.

> > With CPACF, any problem program can perform ciphering.
> > Restricting access to ciphering is missing the entire point of security.
> Nonsense! Why to limit access to ciphering functions ??? It is as
> pointless as restricting access to functions like ADD, DIVIDE etc. Using
> such commands I can implement encryption alghorithms in the software.
> Again, I see no reason to restrict the functions. Maybe except
> performance penalty.
I think there is a language barrier here. My point is that there is
no point in preventing/restricting acccess to the ICSF ciphering
functions. The vast majority of encryption needs involve ciphering
data. With CPACF, there is no need to use ICSF. Thus, applying security
controls to ICSF ciphering is useless. A program can directly use CPACF
instead of ICSF.

> > Controlling and auditing access to keys that are bound to specific
> resources
> > is the point of a secure key management system.
>
> RACF CL(CSFKEYS) again.
Again, that does nothing to protect/ensure that the ciphered resource
is being accessed properly. It does not to ensure that key is being
applied to the correct resource.

> >>2. Why do we need KMS, especially for clear key operations?
> >
> > The KMS prevents exposure of the keys to the application. The KMS can
> use
> > the CPACF with clear keys in *protected* storage so that the end-user
> cannot
> > exposure the clear keys. Thus, the benefits of performance and
> scalability
> > of CPACF are complemented with secure key management. You don't get any
> of
> > that with ICSF.
>
> Anaything in central storage is considered as susceptible to being read
> by a human. Such a person should have specific knowledge and system
> authorities. End user is absolutely unable to read the key from storage
> or read storage at all. System programmer can make a dump. CPACF does
> not offer protected storage - because it is central storage of CPC.
And ICSF now supports CLEAR keys in its own storage boundary, or within
an application storage boundary, and on the CKDS.

With proper security controls in place, no one can *force* exposure of
the clear keys.

> If you really want secure keys, you need to use crypto cards, CEX2C, or
> older PCIXCC, PCICC. This is in fact specialized computer, with PowerPC
> onboard and *it's own storage*. The storage is protected against
> tampering. Opening enclosure clears all the memory & registers making
> card clear and unusable.
Yes, we know all of that. This topic is focused on the CPACF and its
clear key usage, and how to manage keys.

There are plenty of sites that can operate satisfactorily without
the hardware protection of the master key. Even then, what happens when
the master key register is cleared? The master key or the pass phrase
must be kept somewhere in the clear. A software-only solution would have
the same requirement.

A software implementation that correctly exploits the built-in security
and integrity features of z/OS can be just as operationally secure as
the physical tamper-resistant crypto box. Violating security procedures
and protocols can happen both with the hardware implementation and with
the software implementation. In the end, it all comes down to obeying
proper security procedures and protocols.

> > So, if you are forced to use a 3rd party key management system, you have
> > no need for ICSF.
>
> Wrong assumption - maybe people are not forced to use 3rd party KMS.
> Sometimes people use ICSF with TKE workstation.
TKE is not a key management *system*. It is a trusted key entry device.
That has nothing to do with managing the use of keys.

> Radoslaw Skorupka

Jeffrey D. Smith
Principal Product Architect
Farsight Systems Corporation
700 KEN PRATT BLVD. #204-159
LONGMONT, CO 80501-6452
303-774-9381 direct
303-484-6170 FAX
http://www.farsight-systems.com/
comments are invited on my encryption project