Thanks for all of the good comments and suggestions. As for why they do so
many ALTERs, I've learned from experience not to ask why.  ;-)

I was really looking for affirmation that running TSO ALTER commands in
batch was the cause of their performance issue and that one couldn't choke
a system by doing thousands of ALTERs using IDCAMS in batch. Thanks Bob
Richards for confirming this.

Sure, I'd do things differently with their ACS routines, but I'm just a
consultant and nobody here asked me to stick my nose into their Storage
Management!

Terry Bruns
[EMAIL PROTECTED]