From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom Marchant
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 10:25 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Another BIG Mainframe Bites the Dust

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 20:16:09 -0300, Clark F Morris
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>2.  I am saying that COBOL is required to deliver the same results on
>decimal arithmetic regardless of platform and presence or absence of
>decimal arithmetic on that platform.  Thus the HP Superdomes in this
>case should still get the same results in any given computation if
>compatible compiler options are chosen to match what was done on the z
>series.

Maybe so.  I don't know, but I'm skeptical.  Is there no other language
that can be run on z/OS and the HP that will perform proper decimal
arithmetic?

>3.  Packed decimal arithmetic is much slower than binary on the z
>series.  True decimal arithmetic becomes even more painful compute time

>wise on those platforms that don't have a decimal arithmetic
>instruction set.  The greater speed of the other processors offsets
>this to at least some extent.

Is it?  Again, I don't know how the speed of packed decimal arithmetic
compares to binary on a z/Architecture box.  However, when you look at
all the other instructions in a typical DP application, the amount of
time spent doing arithmetic as a very small percentage.

Tom Marchant

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If
you think you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the
sender by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail immediately.
Thank you. Aetna