-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 9:54 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: FW: Fatuities (was 'Another BIG mainframe . . . ')
<snip>

Jon, I think z/OS sysprogs should continue operating their z/OS systems
just as their users have come to expect and their business requires.
That's where the goodness starts.

I feel that when a mainframe goes out the door it's because there wasn't

sufficient "grass roots" support for it and that is because the *users*
abandoned it in favor of alternatives that are perceived as "good
enough".
 The sysprogs don't make the "buy" decisions, but they *do* influence
the
opinions of users who *do* influence the buy decision.  A bad sysprog
will
kill the mf straight away.  A good sysprog gets the opportunity to
*prove*
that s/he can provide the same service for less, or better service for
the
same money.  Empire-building is not dead.  "I own 60 servers" vs. "I own
mainframe".  Who has the power?
<snip>

Mainframes go out the door because snake oil sales people sell a company
[Read that: Upper management] on GUI and wiz-bang this and that. So they
are told how expensive the mainframe is, and they are shown charts of
this and that.

I had a client that was told that the mainframe could not do GUI, was
green screen only. I was FORBIDDEN to turn on HTML in CICS to prove them
wrong! I had another that flatly stated that nothing negative was to be
said about the new system they were migrating to. No one was to point
out the missed deadlines, or problems. Later it was declared a success.
The CIO has "retired."

What MANAGEMENT [the decision makers] are NOT shown by the sales people
selling the new system is the hidden cost of ownership of the new
hardware and software. They are NOT shown the TCO (total cost of
Operations). The PRIMARY reason these things are not shown is because
they are HIDDEN and are NOT KNOWN.

What these companies are doing is getting a new system that is all GUI
on cheaper hardware, and the design is really set up to emulate their
current environment. If you want to emulate a mainframe environment, one
of the things you have to know is, how many attach points are there in
your applications? How much of your system is interconnected? Then get
out your checkbook to pay for the communications gear you are going to
need.

Now, given that almost everything is somehow connected via cross-memory
connections (please do not confuse this with actual DAS, SRB, etc.) and
happens at MEMORY speeds, try to pull this off with GiGE or 100BaseT or
whatever.

Most of the systems that I have seen try to take over just ONE
application from a mainframe (running under CICS) have fallen down
because they have to have two or three machines running data base (with
some kind of load balancer in front of them!), three or four doing web
page service (again, with a load balancer), two-three applications
servers. And the I/O load that they experience in interprocess
communications [read that, box to box communications] is what drives
them to their knees. The amount of network slowdown is incredible.

There was a paper, wish I had a copy of it here at my office, where
someone went to great lengths to demonstrate all of this mathematically.
If their paper could be put into simple language and presented with
management attention span sound bites taken into consideration, you
would see more people sit up and take notice (Cynical? Not hardly! I
talk with sales people who tell me that decision makers want simple
statements, quick meetings. Too many do not want tech details, that's
for their techs to handle.).

So I'm not too surprised to see some company run off and throw out their
mainframe. And then quietly have to bring it back in (some one else here
rightly mentioned "face"). One such company was very involved in
bringing you the North East US (and Canada) blackout. Management
decision making that is geared toward bottom line, with no understanding
as to the ramifications 18 months later.

If only managers would look at Bill Carico's Reboot Hill site
(http://www.actscorp.com/reboothill.htm). I've given them two examples
to put there, don't know if he has.

<\red vision mode>

BTW - I keep telling managers, my job is to make IT BORING. Exciting is
when things run faster for less than projected. Annoying is when you get
a phone call at 2AM and the major application's check run has failed.

Later,
Steve Thompson