On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 16:52:16 -0500 Tom Marchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

:>On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 18:18:28 -0700, Frank Yaeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>>Bob Rutledge wrote on 09/08/2006 04:50:40 PM:
:>>> Why not just sort it as three characters and have done with it?

:>>That won't work if the EQUALS function is needed.

:>You lost me with that one, Frank. I don't see how anything is lost if you
:>sort a 5 digit packed decimal as a 3 byte binary as opposed to a 2 and a
:>half byte binary.

Consider

00001C
00001D
00001F

Sorting as a 2.4 byte binary has three equal values.

Sorting as a 3 byte binary has 3 unique values

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com