Richbourg, Claude wrote:

Good morning all,

I am pondering the difference, (Performance-Disaster Recovery-More/Less
volumes), for JES2 spool datasets.

We are at z/OS 1.7 in one dev LPAR and I am starting the
cloning/building process for our production LPAR.

We are a mid-size shop with (4) mod-3s used for JES2 spool in a z/OS 1.4
production environment.

With all four volumes, we have a little over 12,000 cylinders for spool
and keep three days output before offloading to tape. We are hovering
around 65-75 percent utilization

for the most part during the week.

Since I can take advantage of the 'Large Dataset Support' for JES2 now,
what are the pros/cons of having one mod-27 versus 2 mod'9s? Besides the
9,000 or so cylinders. I would like to 'enlarge' the JES2 spool
environment we have and would like to hear your opinions on this matter.

You *can* migrate to large spool datasets, but you don't have to. There are things to consider, like DR supoport, large spool maturity, etc.
But what are your expected advantages of using large spool datasets ?
I don't see any in your case (4 volumes).

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland